Creative Journeys Billboard Project - Open Call
Open to: All NCAD students, Alumni and Staff only
Exhibition Dates: November 2019 – April 2020
Submission deadline: 5pm, Friday 18 October 2019
Location: Terminal 1, Pier 3, Airside
About Creative Journeys
Creative Journeys is a two-year public art programme that brings together Dublin Airport, the National College of Art and Design (NCAD) and Business to Arts. Every year, millions of passengers start or finish journeys in Dublin Airport, coming from and connecting to the rest of the world. This partnership between Ireland’s national gateway and Ireland’s oldest art school celebrates these journeys.
Supported by Business to Arts, this partnership is delivering a full public art programme at Dublin Airport. Several sites have been chosen across the airport campus to host works within Creative Journeys. The sites are located in landside and airside areas to allow both departing and arriving passengers to view the works of art, and enabling members of the public who are at the airport but not travelling to view some of the installations.
Dublin Airport, NCAD and Business to Arts are inviting past & present students and staff of NCAD to submit works for selection for the Billboard Project.
Criteria for submissions:
● A maximum of three images per applicant.
● Work will be considered for wall based high resolution installation.
● Work selected must be professionally presented as high-resolution image(s), and must be made available for selected work.
● All artworks submitted must be available for the dates of the selected exhibition.
● The closing date for entries is Friday 18 October by email only to email@example.com by 5pm. Submissions will not be accepted in person and no late submissions will be accepted.
Billboard Display Specification
● The selected work will be printed on foamex board in the location, dimensions 2m (height) x 7m (length).
Location factors to consider:
● Terminal 1, Pier 3, Airside, is a busy corridor of Irish and international passengers going to and from their departure lounges.
● The artworks must take into consideration the busy environment, the individual passenger experience of an airport and how they encounter and experience the artwork, in addition to enhancing the environment it is located in.
● For the Billboard Project, selected work must focus on the 80th Birthday of Dublin Airport in 2020 for the content. This could include references to the historical context of the Collinstown site on which Dublin Airport is situated, the changed social and cultural environment in Ireland across the past 80 years, etc.
● Images that have already been publicly displayed are welcome.
● Pieces may only be submitted by the artist.
● NCAD reserves the right to reject work that they believe may be in breach of copyright.
● All artworks will be insured by NCAD while on display in Dublin Airport.
● No work may be removed from the final exhibition at Dublin Airport until after the close of the agreed exhibition.
● The artist allows Dublin Airport, NCAD, and Business to Arts to use images of the work for publicity purposes. This includes website (Dublin Airport, NCAD, Business to Arts and others), print (magazine, newspapers and trade publications), social media, etc.
● All artworks must be suitable for family audiences and for the diversity of passengers at Dublin Airport.
● The open submission is open to past or present students of NCAD or current staff at NCAD.
● The selected artist for the Billboard Project will receive a set honorarium fee of €1,250.
How to submit work:
● All entrants must download and complete the submission form for each exhibition, which is available to download on the following link https://www.creativejourneys.ie/.
● One photograph to be sent per artwork with completed pdf submission form attached to the email, (all images in JPEG format. Max 1MB per image).
● Please ensure that the details are correct and that the image provided corresponds to the details submitted on the entry form. It is important all details are included.
● All submissions will be assessed by members of a selection panel that includes the NCAD Director, representatives from Dublin Airport, a representative from Business to Arts and one external juror.
● The selection panel will shortlist a selection of works. All selected applicants will be notified within 4 weeks of deadline.
● NCAD Head of Innovation and Engagement, Head of School of Design and Head of School of Fine Art will manage and determine the selected exhibition for the artwork and location within the Dublin Airport campus.